to West Berkshire Branch of Reading & District Labour Party*
This branch covers those wards which fall within Reading West Parliamentary Constituency and West Berkshire Borough Council, including Birch Copse, Calcot, Pangbourne, Purley on Thames, Theale, and Westwood.
GENERAL ELECTION, June 2017 – THANK YOU!
The snap General Election was a huge event this summer, and we are extremely grateful to all our volunteers who helped with leaflet creation, delivery, canvassing, donations and getting out the vote on polling day. Once the votes were counted we learned that unfortunately, Labour had not received enough votes to oust the sitting Tory, Alok Sharma, but we did help reduce his majority from 6600 to less than 3000, and we are now on the list of Labour target marginal seats. An impressive achievement when we consider the grim outlook at the start of the campaign!
The breakdown of voting results have shown a strong increase in Labour support in the West Berkshire wards of Reading West, where our wards contributed 43% of the total votes cast in Reading West and about one third of the total number of Labour votes in the constituency. This is a great result, but we need to keep on improving so that next time, we return a Labour MP for Reading West.
Meanwhile, huge congratulations to Reading East, where a spectacular vote swing of 10,000 votes unseated Rob Wilson, replacing him with local councilor Matt Rodda as MP. Thank you to all our members and supporters who also helped campaign in Reading East.
What do we do?
We are actively involved in campaigning to win more votes for Labour at the next General Election and the next West Berks Council elections. We:
- campaign on local issues – particularly on the failing of West Berkshire Council
- go door-to-door canvassing to hear local residents concerns and what people think about political issues
- hold Branch Meetings regularly to discuss local and national issues
- produce a newsletter and distribute it all over our territory
What can you do?
You can help by:
- attending meetings and contributing ideas and information to our campaigns
- writing an article for our newsletter and helping with deliveries
- getting actively involved in our campaigns and canvassing
- donating towards the cost of printing our newsletter and other expenses
Thank you for visiting!
*Reading & District Labour Party covers the Parliamentary Constituencies of Reading West and Reading East.